Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kale Soup for the Vegan Soul

I am not a person that does well in the cold, as a matter of fact I hate when the weather gets to the point where I can't leave my house without my nose freezing off.  When the weather does become unbearable and I no longer have a nose but instead a cold full of runny nose and sneezing sitting on my face, I turn to soup to make it all better.  I don't think this is an unusual reaction, however, the most typical soup you find to calm a cold is chicken noodle.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy a great faux chicken noodle soup but I like to get a little bit more creative and a lot more garlicky with my soup.  From that thought the Kale of soups is born.
On top of this soup being one of my favorite soups to make for nutritional value, kale is also on my top five foods I could never live without.  So without further ado: the soup that will change your cold ridden face forever.

Kale Soup for the Soul


1/2 Block Extra Firm Tofu
1 Bunch of Kale
6 Cloves of Garlic
1/2 White Onion
2 Cups of Veggie Broth
2 Tbsp White Miso Paste
1 Cup Quinoa
2 Tbsp Braggs or Soy Sauce
2 Tsp Garlic Powder
Dash of Cayenne (you may add more depending on your pain tolerance)
Water
1 Tsp Olive Oil 


1. Place stock pot on the stove and turn up to medium/medium high heat.  When pot is slightly warm add oil and coat the bottom of the pot.
2. Add diced up white onion to the pan and saute until onion starts to go clear then add the garlic, minced.
3. When the garlic starts to turn a bright yellow color add the vegetable broth.
4. Add quinoa and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Chop the kale removing the stems.  Add to the soup.  Add garlic powder, cayenne, and Braggs as well.
6. Take a half cup of hot water and add the miso paste to the mix and blend until it is thoroughly dissolved in the water mixture.
7. Add the miso mixture to the soup.
8. Cut tofu into small cubes and add to the soup.
9. At this point it should look a little more like a stew and the flavor should be pretty intense.  Check on the quinoa and if it is still a little hard add about 2 cups of water then cover and let simmer for about 10 more minutes.
10. Check the soup flavor and add more cayenne if need be.  Serve and Enjoy.


This soup serves 4 people and works great with sourdough bread.  It's also great for leftovers if you don't want to share and it freezes well.




No comments:

Post a Comment