Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chunky Vegetable Marinara

I am a lover of pasta and all things carbohydrate.  I think that it's a natural state for many people to feel drawn to items they can put sauce on  and dip items into.  While on my quest to make healthy dishes I have to watch the amount of bread like items I put in my body, not because I'm a calorie counter,  because I love balanced meals and nutrition.  On this most virtuous adventure I make a lot of items with more than enough vegetables to cancel out the amount of carbs, here is one of my favorite of those recipes.



Chunky Vegetable Marinara


1 Zucchini
1/2 White Onion
1 Green Bell Pepper
2 Cloves Garlic
24 Ounces Stewed Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Oregano
1-2 Tsp Garlic Powder
Dash of Cayenne
1 Tbsp Olive Oil (Preferably Cold Pressed)
1/4 Package Gimme Lean ( you can use any fake meat or none if you like)
Noodles of your choice
Vegan Parmesan (I use Parm which is a raw food mix of nutritional yeast, walnuts and sea salt ground up together)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

1.Place water on stove to boil the noodles and cook noodles for approximately 11 minutes.  Place olive oil in saute pan on medium heat.
2.Chop zucchini, bell pepper and onion and place in a pan to lightly  brown.
3. While vegetables are browning add Gimme Lean by breaking up and placing it around the pan.  Let brown.
4.Add garlic stir lightly until you see the garlic turn a nice bright yellow add red wine vinegar and let cook off.
5. Add tomatoes and spices and let simmer until extra water is cooked, it should seem almost stew like.
6. Place on Noodles and add vegan parmesan and enjoy.


I also enjoy using eggplant, spinach, squash and any assortment of vegetables in this dish.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I converted to mostly raw and vegetarian (I still eat eggs) when I moved to LA. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete