Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Taco Pizza

When I think of tacos it makes me immediately salivate, pizza also has the same effect, so why not combine forces and make an all time favorite of mine: TACO PIZZA.  If you have never tasted taco pizza you are missing out an experience that is quite possibly unmatched by any other combination of foods.
  Imagine all the great flavor possibilities atop a perfectly golden crust: a pizza that tastes great with salsa, a taco where the ingredients do not fall out while eating, and a shell that doesn't get soggy and start to wear thin.  This is the greatness that is taco pizza.
  This recipe, unlike others, takes a little bit more time and preparation to make.  The reason for this is that I am a fan of making my own dough but it doesn't mean that you are not welcome to go buy pre-made dough yourself, I just have a preference.
  You will want to set about 2 1/2 to 3 hours aside depending on your experience in the dough making area. Usually when I make dough I make a triple to quadruple batch and portion the rest out and freeze it.  Whatever is most convenient for you is probably the best way to go.  Also, I use dry black beans so I let them soak all day without salt because the salt is really unnecessary to the soaking process.
The rest of the recipe is simple and a lot less time consuming.

Pizza Dough

1 Cup Warm Water
1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar (make sure it is unbleached)
1 (1/4 ounce Package) Dry Yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour
1 Tspn Salt
DO NOT USE RAPID RISE YEAST

1. Combine water, sugar and oil.  Add yeast let sit until you see the yeast foam.
2. Add flour and salt and mix together.  I prefer to mix with my hands but if you have a nice stand mixer go ahead and use that.
3. When ingredients are well combined lightly flour the counter top and knead dough until dough is smooth and slightly pliable.  Roll into a ball.

Pizza 5 bgImage via Wikipedia

4. Take a little olive oil and lightly cover the dough and place in large bowl covered with a cloth.
5. Let rise for about 45 minutes to an hour until it is doubled in size.  I like to stick my dough in the sun to rise because it helps speed up the process.
  (This is when I usually start the beans by boiling them on the stove with about double the water)
6. After dough is risen lightly flour counter again and place dough on counter and push out extra air.  Let sit for another 10-15 minutes.

7. Preheat overn to 500 degrees
 

Black Bean Pizza Sauce

1 Cup Black Beans
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
Water
Tapatio
Sea Salt and Pepper


1. Boil beans until soft and combine all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth.  Use water to thin out the sauce if needed.
When beans are finished roll out dough and place either on a pizza stone or cookie sheet, make

sure to oil pan lightly. 
Pizza I cooked.Image via Wikipedia
Spread out black bean sauce evenly.  I like to then saute up some soy chorizo with 1/2 a white onion
and place on top.  Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until crust is lightly brown.  Right after I pull it out of the oven I sprinkle vegan cheese (Daiya cheddar) over the top.  I then add all my favorite ingredients: chopped up white onions, jalapenos, chopped up lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, and avocado.  You can also add crushed up tortilla chips if you like.
                       Invite your friends and family over and enjoy this delectable treat.









Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I have to say "I concur!" Pizza and tacos are definitely a great marriage! Just like chocolate and peanut butter! OMGosh, I think I just made myself hungry again...taco pizza for dinner and No Bake cookies for dessert (made with almond butter instead of peanut butter, of course, since I can't have peanuts). YUMS!

    ReplyDelete