Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Donnie Mac's Helps Make a Vegan Friendly Boise Possible

Sometimes I dream about a restaurant and finding something off of the menu that I don't have to modify; Donnie Mac's is that restaurant.  They are not completely vegan but they definitely serve up some fantastic vegan fare that is not all salads and portabello sandwiches.  Don't get me wrong, I do love both those items and what they encompass but I also love looking at a menu or speaking to waitstaff to pleasantly find out what other great options that I have available right at my fingertips.
  This is what occurred on Monday, what I would like to call my Re-experience of Donnie Mac's.
   We sat down with my family and soon to be relations for a birthday dinner for myself.  I would usually order the Taco Salad with no chicken or cheese and I found vegan Corn Dogs and a vegan BLT present, neither of those you could really pass up .
   The Corn Dogs came out perfectly golden with a side of  fries.  They had that perfect crispy outside and a nice soft inside.  If you didn't know they were vegan you would decidedly agree that they taste amazingly like the corn dogs you remember when you were young.  The next item that we tried was the BLT made with marinated tofu, a perfectly sliced piece of tomato, Vegenaise and iceburg lettuce.  I chose to add avocado to the sandwich because it is one of my favorite foods but it would taste awesome without as well.  The marinade of the tofu makes you second guess the origin of the "meat" on the sandwich in the best way possible.  All in all I am incredibly surprised at what items Donnie Mac's has been adding to the menu to help support the more alternative eating styles.

  Also on their menu available for vegans is the Worst Burger (Remember to order without Cheese), Chili, and many other items that can be made vegan.  I definitely recommend Donnie Mac's as a wonderful eating experience with a dish for everyone in the family.

2 comments:

  1. This, too sounds simply divine! Do you think they'd share the recipe (or their supplier)?

    If not, I'm going to have to find a kick-ass recipe for vegan hot dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They purchase vegan hot dogs and then make the batter that they are dipped in. I am sure that they would share the recipe for the batter, though.

    ReplyDelete